Thursday, September 25, 2008

Objects in the Mirror are Crazier than they Appear

When I lived in Inwood (an area so far at the tippy top of Manhattan, it's practically Canada), there was a guy we called American Psycho. He sat all day in his window with jam box blaring 80s tunes and mock screaming along. By mock screaming, I mean he never actually used his voice, but rather mouthed screaming which is just way creepier. He would also mock scream at passers-by and do some kind of weird dance in the window frame.

Every neighborhood has their requisite crazy person - especially in New York. I only now checked on NYMag and they have only have 23 blogs tagged with "crazy people," which I actually found to be shockingly minimal. Clearly, we can all agree that we have run into more that 23 on the subways alone.

I have just come across a new one around the corner from my house. Well, I have not seen him per se, I have only seen the markings of a crazy person. And the markings alone are enough to spook the willies out of me. (see, it even has me messing up my idioms)

I was walking to a friend's house in the neighborhood the other evening when I saw what looked like a plastic bag tied to the window grate. It was an odd thing, so I had a stop pause while my eyes focused and my head tried to wrap around the idea of what I was actually seeing. That's not a plastic bag, that's a car side mirror. Tied and angled to each window grate in opposite directions. I stood staring for several seconds/minutes. Then I snapped a photo.

So obviously, at this point the crazy person knows who I am (of course I pass this street near daily, so I assume he already did), because I am 99% sure that there is some video recording device focused on these mirrors when the said crazy person is not on duty to watch himself. Ok, I don't know that for sure, but I welcome any other insight as to what is actually going on there.
















[shot taken in the day] [shot taken at night]

1 comment:

Braffirmations said...

I can't decide if this would be more or less crazy if some kind of DIY/home laser experiment were involved.