Friday, August 8, 2008

5 up! 5 down! That's all

My friend and I sat at a busy bar attempting to download a Magic 8Ball application on his iphone. We crammed ourselves into the backroom, sharing a table with three women in their early thirties. As we drank our beers, chatted and waited for the Magic 8Ball to appear and give predict our futures, I became slightly distracted listening to the conversation next to us.

From what I could gather, the three girls shared a friend, who was not currently at the bar. This friend is dating a much older man. The age difference is significant and they spend most of their night talking about how they view the ideal dating age range.

Girl A was adamant that you can't be sure where love is going to fall and that as long as you click with the person, they could be any age. "You can't know."
Girl B was not of the same mind at all. She keep repeating, "Five up! Five down! That's it."
Girl C fell somewhere in between, but still felt like there was surely a cut off age. "I still like to have preschool fun. Oh wait, that sounds provocative. I mean I'm a preschool teacher and I still like to have fun, like running on the slip-n-slide. And I can't picture any 40yr-olds doing that. There was this 40yr-old on my volleyball team who seemed young and like to have fun, but I still can't picture him wanting to slip-n-slide."
Girl A, "Maybe some 40yr-olds would."

Then Girl A cut straight to calling out ages and asking her friends if they would date them. "Would you date someone who was 27? Would you date someone who was 38? Would you date someone who was 48?"
Girl B kept repeating her mantra, but at some point must have gotten confused and answered yes.
Girl A, "So you would date someone who is 48."
Girl B, "48! Are you crazy?! Five up! Five down! That's it."

The Magic 8Ball downloaded. "Concentrate and ask again."

No comments: