Thursday, July 24, 2008

When Pigs Fly

Walking down a street in my neighborhood today, I saw the meat delivery truck stop in front of the local butcher. Two men were unloading meats and carting them across the street into the butcher's shop. Immediately, I zoned in on this photo op and began digging in my bag for my phone (my street camera of choice). I snapped this pic, where you can just make out the pig parts popping out of the top of the pail.

The scene took a dramatic turn, when the man pulled the cart over the curve onto the sidewalk. Bump. The top pig flew up in the air and tumbled down hitting the subway grating head on. Then the man grabbed the pig by one of it's front hooves, dangling it there and considering what to do with porky next. I was frozen solid, as if I were the one in the meat locker. My phone camera was still poised for snapping, and here was the moment. But I couldn't bring myself to shoot anything as I stood wide-eyed and grossed out. As his associate joined him in the swinish fervor, they dropped Ms. Piggy back in the can and headed into the shop. I can be consoled in the fact that the neighborhood is not known for its pork tartare specialty.

No comments: